I, like most people interested in their tourney brackets, was watching the Carolina Georgetown game with much rooting interest sunday, and i noticed that the harder i pulled for Georgetown the longer they just stayed down. Basically if georgetown loses this game my bracket is busted, so you can imagine my passion for a team that i wouldn't otherwise give a care about. As the game progressed i noticed that georgetown was strangely tight, unable to just draw the game to even, the game just hovered at this seven to ten lead for carolina even though the hoyas were playing very well respectively. Every lose ball was going to carolina, every rebound seemed to fall to a tar heel to give them an extra try, and everything was going their way, thats when i realized it: the sports whammy was upon me, and i had to do something to shake it out of the game. Now there is a lot of research that has been done on the power of rooting for a team, and studies show that if you scream at a player loud enough on television he might just heed your advice to, lets say,"throw the dam ball!" in football or "shoot it!" when inevitably a player cant obviously see the shot clock in basketball but my technique was obviously not working today.
Then the idea hit me, i must remove myself from the game and much like superman changing the spin of the earth i must change the direction of this game fast. So i left with fifteen minutes to go in the game and refused to watch it until there was two minutes to go in the game. When i came back it was as if my strategy had worked to perfection, with me gone and the pressure off my team was able to relax and cut the lead to one. Had it worked? Had my team simply needed me to take a walk to win? I don't know, you have to decide it for yourself, but i know what i saw, reversal magic. With the karma seemingly reversed i could then push them over the top, three point to tie with thirty seconds to go, and then a domination in overtime, perfect...all according to plan. I'm not saying that i had everything to do with this wonderful comeback victory, but is this just a coincidence that when i left they came back strong? I don't know, but i do know that sometimes you have to kick in a little change up rooting karma: take a nap, go for a run, kick your dog, pin stick your voodoo doll, do something different when your team isn't responding and you too might just see some results.
All things that are wrong and slanted about sports you will find here...i will promise you that my friend..
Monday, March 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Oh, the power of mental sports shenanigans. "Dude, I swear, every time I wear this jersey, the (fill in your team's name) lose. It's freaky, bro."
Very interesting blog, something I have tried before and it has sometimes worked. But usually I will go to another room waiting to hear a cheer but alas I hear nothing and it angers me more. Maybe I need to remove myself completly from the house next time. I hope this continues to work all the way to Hawaii! BABY!
lets look at if from another angle. athelete a sayz to his teammates, 'hey bro, lets not play right. seth be watching from home. someone do a dry erase play to work out seth leave the living room. oh right, here we go, he left. lets start playing!!' yes, of course, that is exactly how they write it up. or maybe it goes like this, 'i think its a crackhead, got hold of the wrong stuff, people telling him to get up in that tree.' 'this flute has been passed down 1000's of years' 'i wan' the gold'
I think standing on one foot and picking your nose with your left hand works almost as good
UK
Seth, I see that you , like I, have let your blog lapse. Take up the pen (keyboard) and get crackin. There is a lot of goofy shit going on in the sports world that needs you attention.
Seth, I see that you , like I, have let your blog lapse. Take up the pen (keyboard) and get crackin. There is a lot of goofy shit going on in the sports world that needs you attention.
Post a Comment